Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Collin Savage, French/ Spanish program

Hello, everyone! My name is Collin, and I graduated from Adelphi in 2016 with a BA in French. I also minored in Spanish and completed the certificate in translation studies as well as the Levermore Global Scholars program. Here's just a small part of the story. 

When they tell you that languages are living, they mean it in more ways than one. The languages themselves change and evolve, but they also change the lives of those who speak them. They live inside you, and they open your eyes, mind, and heart to more of the world than you ever thought possible to see. When I first started at Adelphi, I had never actually spoken another language. I had studied them written, but I had never spoken them, and that was difficult for me. I'm not that kid that's "just good with languages" nor am I that kid that "gets by without even studying". I'm the complete opposite. I actually didn't even know which language I wanted to study when I got to Adelphi, so I tried 4. I came in as a French major, because I knew I wanted to work at the UN, but other than that I wasn't sure. At Adelphi, I took French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian. I settled on French and Spanish, and let me tell you something. I didn't like Spanish when I started. I was just taking it because "I should", even though I preferred the two that I dropped. As for my French? I didn't understand a word that was spoken. However, the professors for every single language I studied made me fall in love with the countries that spoke them, and that was it. I was hooked. At Adelphi, I learned to pull Francophones out of a crowd and learned how to make jokes with Hispanophones in the local deli. I saw a Frida Khalo exhibit in the Botanical Gardens and saw a flamenco dancer perform live. She even taught us how to dance a bit. I took a presentation on wine in Spain to a national undergraduate research conference. We learned how to dance salsa, rumba, cha-cha, etc. We translated a book that was published and then even presented on it with an audience from the Ecuadorian consulate. I made a close group of friends and continuously took my language classes with them. We helped each other with homework and studying for exams, and we just grew closer since we had courses together every semester. I even ended up joining 2 different language honor societies with these same friends. We went out to eat at restaurants where people didn't speak English, and it was some of the best food I've ever had in my life. I struggled in my classes a bit. It happens to everyone in college, but my professors worked with me and gave me the extra time and material I needed to succeed. And you know what? On multiple occasions, I've been mistaken for a native speaker in both French and Spanish! This is all coming from a person who is actually incredibly shy and was mortified to speak in front of crowds or even attempt to open my mouth in another language. I used to get so nervous that I couldn't even think straight, and now I can't stop talking. I could go on and on. After all, I was in the department for 4 years and worked with them very closely! However, I just want to say that the Department of Foreign Languages at Adelphi is one of the best things that's ever happened to me. After graduation, I was accepted to programs in France, Spain, Germany, and Micronesia. My next stop? Well, I was accepted into 3 master's programs, one at NYU in New York City, one at NAU in Germany, and one at the University of Westminster in London. Guess who's getting another visa! 

Think foreign languages are just for the classroom? Think again! While I was an undergrad at Adelphi, I was offered a position working with the Many Languages One World conference hosted by ELS and the UN Academic Impact for 3 consecutive summers (which is actually where I met one of the Spanish professors at Adelphi). This is one of the best conferences you can participate in! Apply! I also worked inside JFK International Airport, and that was amazing for me. We always had people who didn't speak English, and being able to help them find their flights, purchase items in a store, or even acting as an interpreter in the security lines was commonplace for me (let me remind you that I didn't actually speak any other languages before I got to Adelphi). Here's the fun part. After graduation, I moved to France! I spent a year there teaching English. My French skyrocketed, and I had trouble convincing people I was from the US. People thought I was from Quebec ironically enough! With my Spanish as well, I was told I "had a perfect accent and could be from Spain" (Spaniards told me this), even though I also have my moments where various Latin American accents slip out! I'm not one to get homesick, but I felt very comfortable around Latin Americans, so I spent most of my time with a group from Venezuela and Mexico. While in France, I learned to make Mexican tacos, Venezuelan arepas (an absolute must!!!), Venezuelan empanadas, and plenty of other items. I even went on a 250-mile bike trail with a friend from Mexico called the Loire à vélo! It was only supposed to be 190 miles, but we took a detour. We biked through the countryside, small towns, and major cities, all following a river, and we ended in Nantes, a major port city in France. We met locals who made pizza from flour ground at the local mill and with vegetables grown by local farmers. We slept on islands in the middle of the river and enjoyed night views of castles, fortresses, and bridges all with lights. We drank the local wine in each city and tried the local desserts. Believe it or not, while we were in France, some of the best food we ever had was actually a blend created by immigrants from African countries who mixed their traditional foods with the local French traditions. Even with my students, those who had English or Spanish-speaking parents would be so excited to hear me utter a few words. I even learned some Arabic, Portuguese (of course!), German, and Dutch while I was in France! I spoke French with a woman on a train in Greece and spoke Spanish in the heart of Paris. I bonded with and spoke French with new friends from Brazil, Japan, Switzerland, Belgium, and plenty of other countries. I struck up a conversation about traditional flute music with a Frenchman who had lived in Ecuador, because I had learned about the country during a project at Adelphi. I went to visit a friend from Adelphi in Paris and London. I ended up getting a part time translation position with a company in Paris and working as a volunteer with a company from Ghana as their representative for France. Foreign languages are only foreign for a short time. After that, they become part of you and you always use them whenever you get the chance. Even if it's not your main area of expertise, they live within you, and they stay there. The world becomes smaller and closer, and you see new things in ways you can't imagine until it's happening. 

Language learning isn't about learning words to communicate in business. It's about building another part of yourself and falling in love with places you've never seen. It's not about what you know, but how you use it. Let me explain. I've always struggled with French. Something about it just confuses me, but the people and places that speak it draw my attention. No, I'm not just talking about chic Parisians who wear scarves and know exactly how to dress. I'm not talking about baguettes. I'm talking about the people, that beautiful blend of 29 countries that speak French. I'm talking about the Caribbean islands and their music and food. I'm talking about all of the African cultures and their extensive intricacies. I'm talking about European cities with their vast history. As for Spanish? I'm not just talking about reggaeton, salsa, and bachata. I'm talking about the mountains of Peru, the food of Mexico, the waterfalls of Venezuela, the people that we share the Americas with. Remeber I said I didn't like Spanish when I started? I thought it was overrated, because everyone spoke it. It's exactly because of everyone speaking it that it's important. For a language that I didn't even like, it's fairly impressive to me that it has become such a huge part of my life. Now when I hear Spanish, I feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment