Friday, November 10, 2017

    My name is Arianna Thomas, I’m a junior at Adelphi university, and I am currently studying Spanish, French, and in the STEP program, with a goal to become a Spanish teacher. This summer I had the great privilege of participating in a study abroad program in France. While abroad I attended the Institute for American Universities, and took a class that explored the works of various French writers and artists. My place of residence was in a breath-taking, elegant but quaint city of Aix-en-Provence, in southern France. This was my first adventure in Europe, therefore, I was extremely eager to immerse myself into the culture, as well as, practice my French. During my time abroad, I did have some moments of culture shock and the feeling as if I didn’t belong. However, to remedy these emotions and my wavering periods of feeling homesick, I found solace in the charming brasseries, or majestic natural of southern France such as the Gorges du Verdon, the endless miles of lavender fields whose beauty lingers in your mind or the soothing waters of the French Riviera.



   On a whole, my study experience was definitely a worthwhile, and I highly encourage my fellow Adelphi colleagues to take a journey into the unknown to explore the culture of another country while, partake in self-exploration of the mind and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment